Experimental Prototype Give Feedback

Your location is: Unknown Change

Find your location

Why do we need this?

Setting your location at Direct Scot means we can give you search results that are both local and relevant to you (e.g. your bin collection days, school term dates, nearby schools and sports and leisure services)

We don't store this user data, so your security is guaranteed.


Unreviewed - content source has not yet been reviewed for DirectScot

Student finance: if your course, income or family circumstances change

You have to let Student Finance England know if your circumstances change after you apply for finance, as it may affect what money you can get. Full-time students can make some changes online. Part-time and postgraduate students need to send in a form.

Details full-time students can change online

If you’re a full-time student, you can log in to your student account and change the following details:

  • address
  • bank account
  • password or secret answer
  • course, such as changing course after your A level results; or leaving, returning or taking a break from a course
  • loan amount or type, such as the Tuition Fee Loan amount
  • if you become a parent

To update your details online, log in to your account and select ‘Make a change to your application’ from the ‘My account’ screen.

Applying through clearing

If your course or university changes after you’ve applied for finance log in to your online account to update your details.

Details full-time students change using a form

If you’re a full-time student, you need to contact Student Finance England to request a ‘Change of circumstances form’ to change the following details:

  • your name
  • your marital status, such as marriage, civil partnership, divorce or separation
  • if your parents have more children
  • changes to your household income

If you want to change your application from non-income assessed finance to income-assessed finance you should also contact Student Finance England to request a ‘Financial assessment form (PFF2)’. Income-assessed finance includes grants and the higher level Maintenance Loan. It requires your parents and partners to send in details of their income and circumstances.

Changing part-time and postgraduate student details

Part-time and postgraduate students can’t update their details online. Contact Student Finance England to request a ‘change of circumstances’ form if you need to update any of your details.

Changes to your course or place of study - after you’ve started

If you change university, college or course after you’ve started your studies, you may be able transfer the financial support you get. To do this you should:

  • let Student Finance England know about your new course by logging in to your student finance account and selecting ‘Make a change to your application’
  • get your new university or college to send a 'Notification of student transfer form’ to Student Finance England

Student Finance England will then re-assess the financial help you get.

The same process is used if you’re transferring to a new course through the Clearing system - or from a Higher National Diploma (HND) course to a degree course.

If you change course after the start of the second year - or if you’ve changed courses before - you may have to pay your own tuition fees for part of the new course.

Repeating a year or deferring your studies

If you want to repeat a year of your course or defer your studies, you should first discuss your reasons with your university or college.

If you defer or repeat a year due to circumstances beyond your control, you may be offered full support when you return to your studies.

Leaving your course early

If you leave your course early, it may affect whether you can get financial support in the future. Talk to your university or college and Student Finance England before you make a final decision.

If you withdraw from your course before a certain date, you may have to make a direct payment to your university or college to cover all or part of your tuition fees. Make sure you check their rules before you make a final decision.

Again, you should let Student Finance England know by logging in to your student finance account and selecting ‘Make a change to your application’.

  • Source Direct Gov
  • Last Updated: 06 Jan 2012