Experimental Prototype Give Feedback

Your location is: Unknown Change

Find your location

Why do we need this?

Setting your location at Direct Scot means we can give you search results that are both local and relevant to you (e.g. your bin collection days, school term dates, nearby schools and sports and leisure services)

We don't store this user data, so your security is guaranteed.


Content source reviewed and approved for use in DirectScot

Change of name and address on your driving licence

You must tell the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) immediately of any changes to your name, address or both. You can update your driving licence online or send it to DVLA for amendment. A new licence will be issued free of charge unless your photograph’s due for renewal.

Apply online to change your address

You can change your address details online. If you need to change your name or name and address, you’ll need to send your driving licence to DVLA for amendment.

Changing your name and address by post

You can change your name and address details on your licence by post.

Photocard driving licence holder

When changing your address you’ll need to:

  • complete the ‘changes’ section on your paper counterpart, sign and date it
  • send both parts of your driving licence ie photocard and counterpart document to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BN

When changing your name with or without a change of address you’ll need to:

  • complete a D1 'application for a driving licence' available from the DVLA form ordering service or from any Post Office® branch
  • provide original identity documents confirming your new name
  • enclose your photocard driving licence and paper counterpart (there’s no need to supply a new photograph)

If you need to renew your photo

You can renew your photo at any time, however, if your photo is due to expire very soon, it’ll need to be renewed before the date of expiry. The expiry date of your photo is shown in section 4b on the front of your driving licence.

Paper driving licence holder

When changing your name or address (or both) you’ll need to:

  • complete a D1 'application for a driving licence' available from the DVLA form ordering service or from any Post Office® branch
  • provide original documents confirming your identity
  • enclose a passport type photograph and your driving licence

Where to send your application form

All completed applications should be returned to:

SA99 1BN

You may also use the premium checking service at selected Post Office® branches or DVLA local offices.

Keeping your details correct

Telling DVLA your details have changed will ensure your record is up to date and all future driving licence reminders are sent to your correct address.

Remember, if you permanently move to another country, you can’t register your new address on your British driving licence. You’ll need to contact the driving licence authority in your country of residence.

Lost or stolen licence

If you’ve lost your driving licence, or you don’t have one or both parts of your photocard driving licence you’ll need to apply for a replacement and notify any changes at the same time.

When to expect your licence

DVLA aims to deliver your new driving licence to you within three weeks of receiving your application. It’ll take longer if they have to check your health or personal details. Allow at least three weeks for your driving licence to arrive before contacting DVLA.

When your licence is issued it’ll have a number of added security features. One of the main differences is a laser engraved black and white photograph.

Driving before your licence is returned

You can drive before you receive your licence as long as you:

  • have held a Great Britain or Northern Ireland licence issued since 1 January 1976 or another exchangeable licence
  • aren't disqualified from driving
  • haven't been refused a licence for medical reasons or for failing to comply with medical enquiries
  • wouldn't be refused a licence for medical reasons (if in doubt, check with your doctor)
  • keep to any special conditions which apply to the licence

Updating your Registration Certificate (V5C)

Remember that you may also need to change your name and address on your registration certificate.

Notifying changes while disqualified from driving

You can notify DVLA of a change of name and address while you’re disqualified. You’ll need to write to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AB giving details of your old and new address, name if changed, your driving licence number (if known) and date of birth.

Your driver record will be updated and you’ll receive a D27 driving licence renewal application 56 days before your disqualification ends.

Provided by DVLA

  • Source Direct Gov
  • Last Updated: 06 Jan 2012