Experimental Prototype Give Feedback

Your location is: Unknown Change

Find your location

Why do we need this?

Setting your location at Direct Scot means we can give you search results that are both local and relevant to you (e.g. your bin collection days, school term dates, nearby schools and sports and leisure services)

We don't store this user data, so your security is guaranteed.


Unreviewed - content source has not yet been reviewed for DirectScot

Declaring cash when entering or leaving the UK

If you are travelling to or from a country outside the European Union you must declare any cash of over 10,000 euros or more (or the equivalent in other currencies) to HM Revenue & Customs. Find out what you need to do to declare cash when entering or leaving the UK.

When you need to declare cash

You only need to declare cash if you are entering or leaving the UK from outside the European Union (EU) and carrying cash of 10,000 euros or more, or the equivalent in other currencies.

Definition of the EU

When declaring cash the EU is:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain (including the Canary Islands), Sweden and the United Kingdom (not including the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands).

Definition of cash

The term 'cash' covers:

  • currency notes and coins
  • bankers' drafts
  • cheques of any kind, including travellers' cheques

How to declare cash to HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC)

You must declare cash on form C9011, and post the completed top Copy 1 in the drop-box at the port or airport.

You can get this form at the port or airport and complete it there, or you can download and print it by following the link below.

Custom Officers from the UK Border Agency (UKBA) may ask to see evidence that you have declared the cash. For this reason it is important to keep a copy of the completed form. If you get the form at the port or airport, it automatically makes a carbon copy as you complete it. This is Copy 2. If you download and print the form, you will need to make a photocopy of Copy 1. (You do not need to complete Copy 2 of the downloaded form.)

You may be fined if you do not declare the money or if you give incomplete or false information.

Your rights if your cash is seized

UKBA officers will only seize declared cash if they have reasonable grounds to suspect it is the proceeds of or is intended for use in illegal activities. Seized cash cannot be kept for more than 48 hours (not including public holidays and weekends) without a court order.

A court may order seized cash to be:

  • held while investigations are carried out
  • withheld permanently if the investigation shows it is associated with criminal activity

If your cash is seized, you will be given information explaining how you can appeal against the decision.

Getting more help and advice about declaring cash

If you need more information about declaring cash when entering or leaving the UK, you can contact the Customs, International Trade and Excise Helpline by following the link below.

  • Source Direct Gov
  • Last Updated: 06 Jan 2012